Actuator help

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2017-01-19 12:58:22
| Show all posts
I have not ordered one yet because I have to give the specs for the one I need.  For example normally open normally closed or switched.  Tonight using my volt meter I was able to determine the Super Sensor II is normally open and it closes when it it actuated by the magnet.

How many volts does the positioner pulse to the sensor?  I am going to glue the Super Sensor II in place.  What else would need to be done to bench test the unit?  Do I need to have the actuator on the dish and pointed to my true south satellite dish or can just connect the motor and sensor and test it on a work bench?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits
Post time: 2017-01-19 17:41:21
| Show all posts
Edited by Bow at 2017-01-19 17:59

From what I remember reading the voltage amount going through doesn't matter (BUD Linear's only run 5 to 10 vdc and as you know the magnet actuates to close the sensor (not the voltage) so yes its normally open, most all reed sensors made are good for up over 100-200volts.    The dish mover in your house simply counts the voltage clicks (from the reed switch) when going between sats to tell where it is at.    From what I remember the spinning magnet will make the Reed Sensor click around 7 - 10 times per 2 degrees of dish travel (depending on the brand) and I have no clue about JBS but thats not really important, just important that it works.

It doesn't matter on dish position when installing the Reed Switch (if the dish is on the same satellite that is shown on your mover in the house you might be good to go) but if its off you will very likely have to redo the East and West limits and redo (refind and save) all the satellites after done installing the switch.

I've changed a couple sensors over the years and I had to redo the E-W actuator limits and refind the sats and set them in memory both times to marry up the mover in the house to the linear actuator motor but maybe you will be luckier than me.   LOL

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2017-01-20 00:24:25
| Show all posts
The dish has never been completely set up so I will be doing that now.  My true south satellite is KU band will that be hard to get a signal from?  When I do get a signal how do I know where to set actuator limits?  

It will be a miracle if I ever get this set up and going.  

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2017-01-20 02:33:15
| Show all posts
One more question about the reed sensor.  I have been told that connecting the power incorrectly to the reed switch will blow it.  From my understanding a reed sensor is nothing more than a switch that is opened and closed by a magnet and it pulses the current back to the positioner.  Why would it matter which way the power flows?  After all it is just an open a closed circuit.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits
Post time: 2017-01-20 08:19:08
| Show all posts
Edited by Bow at 2017-01-20 08:39

Forgot where you live, what is that south satellite that is Ku?

I've never blown one myself but i've read people say it can be done.    I would say you can definitely do it if you were to connect it with the wires that are supposed to power the dish motor and then actuate it thinking you were going to move the dish would burn it out as its not made to pass amps.

As far as which wire on the new sensor you buy is hot and which is the signal wire (it probably won't matter) but it should come with a paper instruction sheet and the small thin wires that go to it from the mover box in your home (one wire will have continuous 5-10vdc) and the other wire is for sending the signal back to the box when the magnet closes the contacts in the Reed Sensor.    With the sat box powered up (in your home) one of the small wires should have that voltage present all the time.

Here is a pdf that explains how a Reed Switch works and explains that its normally open and it closes when the magnet passes near by.  On a linear BUD Dish actuator it just closes to pass the 5-10vdc with no amps as a signal to the mover box in your home for tracking how far it is moving.   http://www.kelco.comau/wp-conte ... formation-sheet.pdf

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2017-01-20 10:40:50
| Show all posts
I am in Moyock, NC 27958.  I am on the NC/VA state line.  Here is what you posted this summer.  77W (Echostar 8 or 1)     FYI -  The elevation for Echostar 8 or 1 is around 47.5 degrees for the coast near the NC/Virg state line.     Pretty sure those are both Ku Band.

Here is a copy and paste from what SatJunkie posted in the same thread.  Considering your longitude and the lack of sats in the 70 degree range, I would think that SB at 78w would be your true south sat and not the easiest of sats to scan in.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits
Post time: 2017-01-20 13:06:26
| Show all posts
Edited by Bow at 2017-01-20 13:12

I was wrong and Satjunkie was correct, Echostar 8 and 1 are Ku Dishnet (Circular) and you can't get them on C-Band LNB.
Satjunkie's call on SB (Simon Bolivar is correct as it has C-Band Channels), he's also correct they aren't super strong that far north but you can get them.    21 Channels that are all FTA but in Spanish, the footprint is centralized for Mexico and Central America but it does cover most of USA.

3 Channels  at 3837 V 6670
18 Channels at 3885 V 23000

Set Dish elevation to 47.6 degrees and set your dish with a magnetic compass at 193 degrees (just west of straight south).    This isn't so bad that it will affect your Dish's arc very much.

[size=10.6667px]Address: Moyok, North Carolina
Latitude: 36.5248°
Longitude: -76.1783°
[size=10.6667px]Simon Bolivar
Elevation: 47.6°
Azimuth (true): 183.1°
Azimuth (magn.): 193.8°

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2017-02-05 10:58:33
| Show all posts
Edited by mux22 at 2017-02-05 11:21

Well I got a replacement reed sensor and have my actuator working and I attempted to point my dish today.  I used a compass on an iPHone.  I have my skew set between 47 and 48 I set the dish to magnetic 194, my satellite finder shows I have signal and there is a solid tone.  The signal meter on the STB shows a signal of 60% but the quality signal meter does not light up at all. Same thing when I use true north and point at 183.

I tried to select channel list and it says no channel.  So I downloaded 20160816 and unzipped it and wrote the new bin file to the STB with the same results.    Any ideas or suggestions?  

Is there anyone out there in the Chesapeake, VA or NC Outerbanks area?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits
Post time: 2017-02-05 12:59:58
| Show all posts
Edited by Bow at 2017-02-05 13:17

Its (Dish Elevation that you want to be 47.6 degrees), the LNBF skew will only be about 3 - 4 degrees.  
I'd say off hand it sounds like you are on the Satellite but may need to fine tune the dish and the LNBF.

Go in these steps. *when step 1 is done then go to 2 and when done go to 3.
1. Bump the dish left and right for highest signal
2. Move the LNBF in and out for highest signal
3. Rotate the LNBF (Skew) to the positive + side slightly to highest signal (West Coast people use - Negative Skew on their LNB's)

The signal meter on the V7 and V8 are not the greatest, always use a real signal meter connected to the LNBF if you can.    Try moving the LNBF (in and out for highest signal) and after that rotate the LNBF to the positive + a few degrees which is called  'skew' -- Rotate and see if the signal peaks even more.

Once its peaked for highest signal lock the Dish down and lock the LNBF down (tighten bolts, etc) to where only the mover motor can move the dish (you cannot move the dish or LNBF by hand) and do another scan for channels on Simon Bolivar

Do a (Blind Scan) and see if it finds the Satellite, while scanning it should show on the tv screen that it sees Simon Bolivar and show two TP's  ----  There are only two TP's on that Satellite but there are several channels on each one.

3837 V 6670-3/4

and

3885 V 23000-3/4

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2017-02-06 06:00:19
| Show all posts
I got the satellite signal and was able to do a blind scan and get a very clear picture.  Now that it is scanned how do I scan in the other satellites?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archive|Mobile|Dark room|PCTVLAB BBS

2019-09-20 13:25 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.816183 sec., 21 queries .